1. What are the ingredients?
-4 cups sifted flour
-1 1/3 cups sugar
-3 t baking powder
-1 t salt
-1 cup biscuit mix
· Sift ingredients together
Liquids:
-3 eggs
-1 cup milk
-1 t vanilla
· Mix the dry and wet ingredients together
· Fill pot 80% with oil to fry andagi
· Turn to 350 degrees(wait till golden brown and check with toothpick)
· Lay the andagi on a rack, not on paper towel. Remove the andagi from rack when the next batch is ready to come out, and then place the andagi onto paper towel. (this method is my grandmas secret to 2. Is this a tradition in the family?
Andagi is a popular dish in Okinawa for celebrations and parties. Many Okinawan people make it. Different families have different recipes. Each family has their own way of making it. For my recipe it took a lot of practice to make it right.
3. What started this dish?
I started making this dish to bless others with a treat but most of the time I make it for parties for dessert. I make andagi for people to enjoy. Back when I was a child we would only make it for special occasions but now that money isn’t as hard to get then I make just to bless people.
4. Was this a dish you ate as a child?
I would only eat andagi at parties for dessert. We didn’t have the money to make it whenever we wanted to.
5. When was the most memorable time you ate it?
In Okinawa every time there was a special occasion with andagi it was memorable because I was able to eat it with my family and enjoy it with them.
6. Why do you continue to make it?
It’s part of my culture and I want to keep it alive. In Hawaii there are so many other different desserts and I want to let people taste part of the Okinawan culture.
7. Is this recipe passed on or something you came up with?
The ingredients are about the same but I made it my own to get the taste just right. The ingredients I use didn’t exist in my childhood time so I practiced and finally got the recipe perfect.

No comments:
Post a Comment