Saturday, August 7, 2010

Coming of Age

My mom and I were in the car driving down the street to the airport. We were getting closer and closer to the airport, my heart was beating with anxiousness. It would be my first trip off the island without my parents. I've always loved going to sleepovers but this was different, I wouldn't be able to see them the next day. We drove up to the curb to drop me off. There I saw my friends and my church leaders, I was ready to go. My mom came out to help unload the car and say our goodbyes. She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a hug before I left. It was gonna be 3 days away from home, a bitter sweet experience.
We boarded the plan and off we went. I've never been to Kauai so I was excited to experience new things and new sites. On the plane I looked out the window to see our island get smaller and smaller. The plane ride was only about half a hour to a hour. I wanted to get off that plane as soon as possible. Walking off I looked all around me observing the things about Kauai. We packed all our bags onto the truck to head to the camp site. Surprisingly I never thought about going home once.
I was able to feel independent, something I haven't experienced all that much before. I didn't need my parents with me because I knew that I was going to be okay and I could handle this. The whole camping trip I didn't think about leaving, in fact I wanted to stay much longer. It was during this trip, I discovered my coming of age.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela,

    Your topic sounds like a good one. What you'll need to be careful about is your focus. Be sure you can show how you came of age...Find specific details that prove that you gained independence, etc. Your actions, words, etc, need to be the "show, not tell." Avoid explaining how you felt or how you changed. Instead, show it..

    Email if you have questions :)
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete