Monday, January 11, 2010

Journal #20: New Years

Just like every year we have a family party on my Dad's side of the family. Unfortunately,this year my mom, dad, and olders sister were sick and didn't really want to go anywhere this New Years. I still wanted to go and so did my two younger sisters, Sarah and Joanna. My Mom later decides that she will drop us off at my Uncle's house so we could spend time with family and pop fireworks. As we passed by the mountains driving into Kaneohe, I started to bubble with excitement because my cousins from the Big Island were going to be there, and I didn't see them in a long time which seemed like forever. We finally reached my Uncle's house, a small but warm and cozy house. As we hopped out of the car, only a few cars were parked in the garage. We hiked up the steep driveway to the door where we finally greeted our cousins. As other family members started to gather in the house we decided to make a circle and say grace. After we prayed, everyone rushed to start making their plates with Uncle's delicious food. My cousins and I sat at the table on the floor while the adults sat on the dining room table munching on our food. After each person finished their dinner, we hurried outside so we could pop fireworks. My older cousin Isaiah was going crazy with the fireworks, lighting them then throwing it out onto the street. I was a little hesitant at first to light the fireworks but then I got comfortable with it, and started to light them and throw them out onto the street as well, it was an adrenaline rush. Time was ticking away and it was almost midnight, a new year for all if us. We set up all the big fireworks onto the concrete ground to get ready for that new year. The clock stroke twelve and we lit all of the fireworks. Wow, it was such a perfect setting, your family surrounding you with the beautiful multicolored sparks shooting out of the cardboard tube, making loud cracking sounds. I couldn't have asked for a better moment.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela,
    Glad to hear you got to celebrate New Year's, despite the rest of your family being ill.
    It sounds as if you had a great time at your uncle's house. What could have been included were more specific, sensory details...about the food...and the fireworks...sights, sounds, smells...that would add up to a vivid impression of your New Year's experience.
    You also needed a title as this was the exercise in which we were applying the titling techniques we went over in class.
    assessment score: 3/2
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete