Thursday, August 20, 2009

I must say that writing is not my best feature, but I wouldn't say it's my worst. In the past I have written many essays. Most of the essays I wrote about were not of topics I would have chosen. I wasn't able to pull the reader in my writing which means they were probably bored reading my paper. I usually like to write about personal topics where I can bring myself into the essay or story. Once I start writing about things I am familiar with or comfortable with then I can go on and on. This year I plan to increase my writing abilities and skills to make me more into a productive and quality writer. In my work I want to be able to grab the readers attention and pull them into my writing so they are interested and not bored. In order for me to make this happen I need to get in touch with my creative side which I have a hard time with but will do my best in order to be the best. I hope that this English class will give me the knowledge to improve my writing into quality and interesting work. English is not my favorite subject but I hope that will change this year. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela,

    Honest commentary about your feelings on writing and on English. I, too, hope that you’ll learn a lot and that maybe, just maybe, may like English a bit better. I think you’re right that writing (yours and others) is stronger when we write on subjects close to our own experience and close to our hearts. I hope that the 6 trait process will help give everyone a bit more skill and confidence to write on all topics with equal effectiveness.

    Here are my comments on your writing pre-assessment: Smoothly written description of the passing of your grandfather. To strengthen the piece, you would need to select one part of the experience to focus on. For example, you talk about your earlier experiences with your grandpa, his scoldings and your punishment. You also describe a bit about hearing the news and then tell about the funeral. You end with the nice play on the idea of heart failure and your grandpa’s unfailing love. To pull all of this together, you’d need to show how that love came through, even though you were naughty, even when he was sick, etc. That would keep it from being just a list of the various things you remember about your grandpa.

    For your idea bank you have some specific details about your responses to the various situations. It would help to include details about the other people and settings that are part of the situation.

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete